Preprocessing CSS

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 24 11:47:57 PDT 2016

On 05/24/2016 02:03 PM, Thiez wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 at 17:14:24 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>>> I just want to throw out there that we would get more contributors to
>>> the website were it to use industry standard tools. i.e. Sass, Less,
>>> etc.
>>
>> That'd need to be balanced with dogfooding. -- Andrei
>
> Is ddoc intended to generate css?

Yes. Ddoc is a general preprocessing engine, much like m4 discussed in
the article I mentioned.

> Do people who have experience with css
> have experience doing this with ddoc?

If they're D contributors they're likely familiar with ddoc, and
applicability to css is trivial and immediate.

> Will experience in using ddoc for
> css generation help someone in projects other than D?

Probably not, but "experience" is misapplied here - we're talking about
trivial application here.

> Does the
> experience help someone getting a job in the industry?

Probably not, again with the same caveat. I speculate experience with
one of the other CSS scripting engines would also not be very helpful in
landing a job as a software engineer.

> I'm pretty sure the answer to all of these answers is "no"

That's not the case, so the jury shall ignore the consequent :o).

Andrei