[RFC] List of contributors per module

ag0aep6g via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 24 14:07:41 PDT 2016

On 05/24/2016 09:22 PM, Seb wrote:
> 3) I would prefer to generate this information on deploy-time, but
> rolling a small (vibe.d) service was a lot easier than integrating this
> properly in the current Makefile. Maybe once we migrate to ddox this
> would be easier?

I agree that this should be done when documentation is being built. The
information doesn't change, so loading it dynamically only makes things
slower.

Generally, I think we should be reducing the amount of JavasScript where
possible, not do even more with JS that could be done when generating HTML.

A relatively simple, non-disruptive way towards more static generation
would be writing small programs that generate .ddoc files, like the
changelog builder you've got in the making [1].

So maybe we can have a little tool that generates a
git-contributors.ddoc which contains a bunch of contributor lists as
Ddoc macros, one per module. Then, for example, in std/stdio.d we put
`$(GIT_CONTRIBUTORS_STD_STDIO)` somewhere. That means touching every
single module, but there's precedent with the PHOBOSSRC macro.

Or, since the .html files actually seem to be built individually, the
tool could generate a bunch of git-contributors-*.ddoc files, each of
which defines just a single GIT_CONTRIBUTORS macro. Then it could be
included in a skeleton file, or at least there less potential for
mistakes when it's put in all source files.

[1] https://github.com/dlang/tools/pull/186