Preprocessing CSS

sarn via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 24 17:15:48 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 at 18:47:57 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 05/24/2016 02:03 PM, Thiez wrote:
>> Does the
>> experience help someone getting a job in the industry?
>
> Probably not, again with the same caveat. I speculate
> experience with one of the other CSS scripting engines would
> also not be very helpful in landing a job as a software
> engineer.

Not at a big company, but in small companies with maybe three
engineers, broad skillsets are very much in demand.  Even if
you're nominally a backend engineer, you can't say, "Sorry, I
just don't *do* CSS."

On my second-last contract there were about two engineers on the
project at any time, and I felt like I wrote nearly as much
JavaScript and (SASS) CSS as Python.

Pulling Ruby in as a dependency for dlang.org would be sucky, but
anything other than SASS or LESS (or something syntax compatible)
is going to turn away a lot of contributors.  A homebrew macro
system would make most run screaming, no matter how easy it is to
learn.