Does D supports REPL

Carl Vogel via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 25 13:20:27 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 at 19:38:42 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 at 00:55:52 UTC, Carl wrote:
>>
>> It's worth noting that some of those Jupyter kernels are
>> pretty quirky/limited. For example in the C kernel, every cell
>> is an isolated program with a main function.
>>
>> Which is not to say it wouldn't be great to have D
>> integration, just that it's trickier than it may seem at first
>> glance.
>
> I haven't used the C one. It looks like it is based on GCC.
> Cling is another one listed for C++. I haven't used Cling, but
> the example looks like the information in one cell can be used
> in later cells:
> https://github.com/root-mirror/cling/blob/master/tools/Jupyter/kernel/cling.ipynb
>
> There seems to be some decent documentation on creating kernels:
> http://jupyter-client.readthedocs.io/en/latest/kernels.html

Yeah, I haven't tried the cling kernel yet, but it looks great.
That's backed by an actual repl though. So it seems like that's a
prerequisite for having a good Jupyter integration.

This is a nice intro to the Jupyter architecture from the person
who made the IHaskell kernel:
https://www.schoolofhaskell.com/school/to-infinity-and-beyond/older-but-still-interesting/ihaskell