Could forum.dlang.org remember how many captchas I filled out?

cy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 25 14:52:40 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 at 20:24:50 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> It's run by the company behind Wordpress, which has less than
> 500 employees.

Okay fine, maybe it's not Proctor and Gamble. But do you want to
face up against 500 people and tell them to stop doing what they
want?

> Maybe they could sort out why this is hitting you so hard, when
> it doesn't affect others as much.

It's probably because I'm running a relay program that helps
people with their privacy. I'm not an exit relay or anything, but
it's a good business model for tracking companies like those guys
to put pressure on people who run those programs even passively,
so that they can keep me from helping others have any privacy.

> If you don't want to be profiled, you shouldn't use the web, as
> it's not hard to track you:

The greatest achievement of any thief is to convince you it's
pointless to try and stop them from stealing. Because then you
try to convince others, and in doing so you help weaken the
people trying to help you, and your own attackers gain more
support.

So uh, don't ever tell anyone there's no point in trying to be
safe. Even if you feel like it's true. If it is true, then
there's no point in you telling anyone, right?

> https://panopticlick.eff.org

Yeah, that one has never managed to get me. Use a generic user
agent, disallow javascript, and disable cookies, and the amount
of certainty they can get goes down a whole lot. What you really
have to worry about is who ISPs are in cahoots with, because ISPs
can track a lot of people with 100% legal certainty, without
their permission or awareness. The EFF thing is a minor, paltry
concern compared to that.

Another thing to worry about is when people communicate using
big, powerful centralized companies, like Google or Facebook.
Organizations that have money and popularity can put pressure on
people like me then, spending countless man hours developing
tactics to prevent me from communicating with people, unless I
allow their tracking software to run.

But Panopticlick is just an idle curiosity, security-wise.

> I agree that captchas, particularly the D ones used here, are
> better.  The forum is OSS and written in D, you can submit a PR
> or at least file an issue:
>
> https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed

Oh, thanks. Maybe I'll do that!