The Case Against Autodecode

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 27 03:26:17 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 at 16:00:54 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
>> 11. Indexing an array produces different results than
>> autodecoding,
>> another glaring special case.
>
> This is a direct consequence of the fact that string is
> immutable(char)[] and not a specific type. That error predates
> autodecoding.

Sounds like you want to say that string should be smarter than an
array of code units in dealing with unicode. As I understand,
design rationale behind strings being plain arrays of code units
is that it's impractical for the string to smarter than array of
code units - it just won't cut it, while plain array provides
simple and easy to understand implementation of string.