Copyright for Phobos to D Foundation

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 28 11:11:16 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 28 May 2016 at 17:50:46 UTC, Seb wrote:
> Now that D foundation finally got its own page [1], it's
> probably time to start this dicussion.
> Is it safe to assume that the entire Phobos source code (except
> for the external C modules), belongs to the D foundation?

No, not at all, and you don't need legal experience to recognize
that.

Copyright is extremely under-reported for Phobos, in my
experience -- authors of significant components of modules do not
necessarily add their name to the copyright list or even the
author list.  But without any paperwork to transfer copyright
(and note, not all legal jurisdictions recognize the possibility
to do so), copyright still belongs to these authors for the
significant parts they have written.

Note, having multiple copyright holders isn't necessarily a
problem, given that Phobos is Boost-licensed.  It tends to be
more an issue for copyleft-licensed works (where having multiple
copyright holders can e.g. complicate a license upgrade), or in
the case where there is a copyright violation and it is
convenient to have a single entity that can launch a claim
against the violator (this is why e.g. the Free Software
Foundation requests copyright transfer for contributions to their
major projects).

But the Boost license makes any copyright violation claim
unlikely -- pretty much the only scenario I can see that flying
is if somebody redistributes the source code while stripping off
the copyright/license/authorship information.