The Case Against Autodecode

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 30 05:59:08 PDT 2016

On Monday, 30 May 2016 at 12:45:27 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> That's... what I said. -- Andrei

You said "not arrays", he said "not ranges".

So that just means making the std.range.primitives.popFront and
front add a constraint if(!isSomeString()).

Language built-ins still work, but the library rejects them.

Indeed, we could add a deprecated overload then that points
people to the other range getter methods (byCodeUnit,
byCodePoint, byGrapheme, etc.)... this might be our migration
path.