Transient ranges

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 30 08:46:59 PDT 2016

> On Monday, 30 May 2016 at 15:12:41 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 05/30/2016 09:30 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> My iopipe library is 2x as fast.
>>
>> Cool! What is the trick to the speedup? -- Andrei
>
> Direct buffer access and not using FILE * as a base.

So what primitives do you use? The lower-level descriptor-based
primitives open() and friends? http://linux.die.net/man/2/open

What do you mean by direct buffer access?

What is the relative contributions of these (and possibly other) design
decisions to the overall speed?

How can we integrate some of these in std.stdio without breaking
backward compatibility, or offer additional artifacts that integrate
seamlessly and don't need to be compatible?

Andrei