The Case Against Autodecode

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 30 14:39:14 PDT 2016

On Monday, 30 May 2016 at 16:34:49 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Monday, 30 May 2016 at 16:25:20 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> D1 -> D2 was a vastly more disruptive change than getting rid
>> of auto-decoding would be.
>
> Don't be so sure. All string handling code would become broken,
> even if it appears to work at first.

Assuming silent breakage is on the table, what would be broken,
really?

Code that must intentionally count or otherwise operate code
points, sure. But how much of all string handling code is like
that?

Perhaps it would be worth trying to silently remove autodecoding
and seeing how much of Phobos breaks, as an experiment. Has this
been tried before?

(Not saying this is a route we should take, but it doesn't seem
to me that it will break "all string handling code" either.)