faster splitter

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 30 18:55:16 PDT 2016

On 05/30/2016 06:16 PM, qznc wrote:
> What function call should be replaced with inline code?

The call to computeSkip.

> Overall, I'm very confused and displeased by the benchmark right now.

I agree it's difficult to characterize the behavior of substring search
with one number. There are many dimensions of variation. (But there's no
reason for an emotional response.) A few possible baselines come to mind:

* Search a long string for a one-character string, match and fail.

* Take an English text string. Search for a substring consisting of its
last portion (e.g. 5% of the length).

* Take an English text string. Search for a substring consisting of a
fraction of the text (e.g. 3%) with additional characters prepended.
Repeat for appended.

Andrei