The Case Against Autodecode

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 31 14:01:17 PDT 2016

On 05/31/2016 04:01 PM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Wasn't the whole point of operating at the code point level by default to
> make it so that code would be operating on full characters by default
> instead of chopping them up as is so easy to do when operating at the code
> unit level?

The point is to operate on representation-independent entities (Unicode
code points) instead of low-level representation-specific artifacts
(code units). That's the contract, and it seems meaningful seeing how
Unicode is defined in terms of code points as its abstract building
block. If user code needs to go lower at the code unit level, they can
do so. If user code needs to go upper at the grapheme level, they can do
so. If anything this thread strengthens my opinion that autodecoding is
a sweet spot. -- Andrei