The Case Against Autodecode

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 31 15:47:02 PDT 2016

On 5/31/2016 1:20 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
> [...]

I agree. I dealt the madness of code pages, Shift-JIS, EBCDIC, locales, etc., in
the pre-Unicode days. Despite its problems, Unicode (and UTF-8) is a major
improvement, and I mean major.

16 years ago, I bet that Unicode was the future, and events have shown that to
be correct.

But I didn't know which encoding would win - UTF-8, UTF-16, or UCS-2, so D bet
on all three. If I had a do-over, I'd just support UTF-8. UTF-16 is useful
pretty much only as a transitional encoding to talk with Windows APIs. Nobody
uses UCS-2 (it consumes far too much memory).