The Case Against Autodecode

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 31 17:34:51 PDT 2016

On 5/31/2016 1:57 AM, Chris wrote:
> 1. Given you experience with Warp, how hard would it be to clean Phobos up?

It's not hard, it's just a bit tedious.

> 2. After recoding a number of Phobos functions, how much code did actually break
> (yours or someone else's)?.

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but as I recall if the API had to
change, I created a new overload or a new name, and left the old one as it is.
For the std.path functions, I just changed them. While that technically changed
the API, I'm not aware of any actual problems it caused.

(Decoding file strings is a latent bug anyway, as pointed out elsewhere in this
thread. It's a change that had to be made sooner or later.)