The Case Against Autodecode

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 31 17:38:14 PDT 2016

>> On 05/31/2016 03:32 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> Let's put the question this way. Given the following string, what do
>>> *you*  think walkLength should return?
>>>
>>>     şŭt̥ḛ́k̠
>>
>> The number of code units in the string. That's the contract promised and
>> honored by Phobos. -- Andrei
>
> Code points I mean. -- Andrei

Yes, we know it's the contract. ***That's the problem.*** As everybody
is saying, it *SHOULDN'T* be the contract.

Why shouldn't it be the contract? Because it's proven itself, both
logically (as presented by pretty much everybody other than you in both
this and other threads) and empirically (in phobos, warp, and other user
code) to be both the least useful and most PITA option.