Dealing with Autodecode

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 31 17:56:03 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 at 00:46:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It is not practical to just delete or deprecate autodecode - it
> is too embedded into things.
Which Things ?
> The way to deal with it is to replace reliance on autodecode
> with .byDchar (.byDchar has a bonus of not throwing an
> exception on invalid UTF, but using the replacement dchar
> instead.)

> To that end, and this will be an incremental process:

So does this mean we intend to carry the auto-decoding wart with
us into the future. And telling everyone :
"The oblivious way is broken we just have it for backwards
compatibility ?"

To come back to c++ [] vs. std.vector.

The actually have valid reasons; mainly c compatibility.
To keep [] as a pointer.

I believe As of now D is still flexible enough to make a radical
change.
We cannot keep putting this off!

It is only going to get harder to remove it.