Linux Kernel in D?

Wild via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 1 06:41:04 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 1 November 2016 at 12:12:29 UTC, Heisenberg wrote:
> Just an idea. Do you think it would have any advantage compared
> to the one that is written in C?

I think it wouldn't really be worth it. You have to make a custom
runtime and
a custom standard library. Because most of the awesome D features
are for the
standard library and not directly from the language itself.
Porting the Linux kernel to D language to fix a few bugs isn't
really worth it,
if you have to implement all the stuff I mentioned.

It is better to instead design a new kernel from scratch, and
structure everything
in a way that seems more logical for D code. This is what I
target with my kernel
PowerNex (The current code structure is horrible, I'm currently
planning to fix
it so it matches the D style).

Conclusion: Yes D features could probably fix bugs in the Linux
kernel and make it
more safe, but you need to implement a lot of extra code just to
be able to use
basic D features. So it wouldn't be worth it.

- Dan