Paging Walter Bright: Contextual Keywords

Meta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 6 19:33:47 PST 2016

Hello Walter,

I'm currently working on a DIP on the topic of either removing or
replacing the `body` keyword in D's contract programming syntax.
I've found that the best possible way to do this, without any
breaking changes to user code, would be to turn `body` into a
contextual keyword. I know that you've expressed your opposition
to contextual keywords in the past, but it's hard to find any
concrete (and more important, recent) posts stating it clearly
(as well as your reasons), other than this one:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/npsp8a$mv4$1@digitalmars.com

Can I ask you to give a definitive statement on contextual
keywords in D (whether support, oppose, or are neutral to their
addition), as well as a bit of rationale? This will then give me
something official to link to in the DIP (and we will able to
update the D FAQ with it as well).

Link to DIP: https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/48