CTFE Status

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 8 08:57:27 PST 2016

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 11:40:31AM -0500, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 11/05/2016 11:48 AM, Marc Schütz wrote:
> > On Saturday, 5 November 2016 at 01:21:48 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> > >
> > > I recently lost 3 days of work because of my git-skills.
> >
> > Unless you haven't committed your work yet, almost everything in Git
> > can be undone. Make a copy of your entire project directory
> > (including .git) and then have a look at `git reflog` around the
> > time the disaster happened. It will show you commit IDs that you can
> > check out.
>
> Yea, but unless you're a git-fu master, sometimes figuring out how to
> fix whatever got messed up can lose you 3 days of work ;)
>
> I really want to make a saner CLI front-end for git, but that would
> require learning more about git than I really ever want to know :(

The thing about git is that at its core, it's really very simple. Dumb,
even.  It's basically a program for managing a directed acyclic graph
(DAG).  That's all there is to it. The rest is just frills.

Trying to rationalize git in terms of traditional version control
systems is what usually causes lots of confusion, incomprehension, and
frustration.  To truly grok git, you have to just forget about
traditional version control concepts, and think purely in terms of DAGs.
Once you do, everything falls into place and it all makes sense in its
own peculiar way (including all the flaws :-P).

It only takes one twig to burn down a forest.