What is the right level of abstractions for D?

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 8 09:08:55 PST 2016

On 11/07/2016 02:00 AM, Danni Coy via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> When I mean high quality I mean competitive with Qt (the current least bad
> cross platform toolkit), DLangUI gets compared to the Java UI offerings
> which leaves me somewhat cold. I have never met a java program with a UI I
> liked.

Yea. DLangUI sounds nice and all to me, but the lack of native UI
backend is a nonstarter.

Have you tried QtE5? I admit I haven't had a chance to try it out yet
myself, but from what I can tell, it looks like what I've been wanting
in a D GUI lib: https://github.com/MGWL/QtE5

> In the former case it might be nice to have some syntactic sugar in the way
> that maxscript does.
>
> for a in group where a.count > 0 do (

I know I'm not a group 3 person, but I find that difficult to read, and
its similarity to SQL's undisciplined syntax frightens me.

> is easier to approach than
>
> foreach (a; group.filter!(a.count > 0)()) {
>
> but that is a fairly minor qwibble.

I like to "stack" for/foreach/if's:

foreach(group; setOfGroups)
foreach(a; group)