CTFE Status

Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 8 11:30:56 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 at 16:57:27 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 11:40:31AM -0500, Nick Sabalausky via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 11/05/2016 11:48 AM, Marc Schütz wrote:

>> > Unless you haven't committed your work yet, almost
>> > everything in Git can be undone. Make a copy of your entire
>> > project directory (including .git) and then have a look at
>> > `git reflog` around the time the disaster happened. It will
>> > show you commit IDs that you can check out.
>>
>> Yea, but unless you're a git-fu master, sometimes figuring out
>> how to fix whatever got messed up can lose you 3 days of work
>> ;)
>>
>> I really want to make a saner CLI front-end for git, but that
>> would require learning more about git than I really ever want
>> to know :(

If you study carefully the data model of git you will then come
to the conclusion that its CLI is not that bad.

> The thing about git is that at its core, it's really very
> simple. Dumb, even.  It's basically a program for managing a
> directed acyclic graph (DAG).  That's all there is to it. The
> rest is just frills.
>
> Trying to rationalize git in terms of traditional version
> control systems is what usually causes lots of confusion,
> incomprehension, and frustration.  To truly grok git, you have
> to just forget about traditional version control concepts, and
> think purely in terms of DAGs. Once you do, everything falls
> into place and it all makes sense in its own peculiar way
> (including all the flaws :-P).

I describe git not as a vcs but as exacly what Linus Torvalds
described it when he first presented it the Kernel mailing list:
a directory content state recorder optimized for text files. The
DAG is already an abstraction above i.e. a mean to that end.