[OT] Re: CTFE Status

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 10 08:57:02 PST 2016

On 11/10/2016 09:31 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> On 11/10/2016 06:07 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Its things like that. I'd be surprised if that has much to do with git's
>> nature as a "dumb" DAG tool. It's just the general good-design principle
>> of "The thing you *want to* or *should* do or *expect* 99% of the time
>> should be the DEFAULT, not the obscure incantation".
>
> I think it is related, but is not necessary consequence. My
> understanding is that for a long time command line design was given zero
> thoughts on its own - it was directly exposing whatever git does
> internally with no usability considerations. Which is why it is so
> awkward to use unless you really do know internal object model in great
> details.

Yea, see that's the stuff I mean when I say I dislike git's CLI, and
would really like to fix with a front-end. A few years back, someone
here compared it to driving a car by leaning under the hood pulling on
various wires. I like that comparison. Git always did give off that
kinda feel to me.

Somebody else pointed out gitless. At a quick glance, it looks like it
has at least some potential. I'll have to take a closer look. Although I
suspect I'll find a bunch of "oh, hmm, I'd have done that differently"
just because...well, I tend to be like that ;)