readln and readf issues

Robert burner Schadek via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 11 01:55:24 PST 2016

On Friday, 11 November 2016 at 09:43:51 UTC, Jacob Marek wrote:
> Hi! so I'm probably being dumb here however I'm having an issue
> getting readf and readln to work properly. It seems to be
> superseding the rest of my code. Allow me to explain. No matter
> where I put the readf/readln function it will get hung up in
> the console waiting for input. An example is below where this
> occurs (only after inputting an int and pressing enter does
> hello print) I am using eclipse with the standard DMD compiler.
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> void main() {
> 	writeln("hello");
> 	int q;
> 	readf(" %s", &q);
> }

What platform? I'm not 100%, but on *nix writeln goes to stdout
of the process and read* reads from stdin of the same process.
The problem is that stdout is not connected stdin of the same
process. In other words readf never gets past the "hello". Create
two programs and connect them as such "writeProgram |
readProgram".

p.s. next time, please post such to the learn subforum, thats
properly a better place for this.