Unum II announcement

Nick B via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 13 00:38:54 PST 2016

On Monday, 10 October 2016 at 05:32:55 UTC, Nick B wrote:
> On Saturday, 8 October 2016 at 00:35:31 UTC, Nick B wrote:
>> On Sunday, 25 September 2016 at 02:22:01 UTC, Nick B wrote:
>>>
>>> I suggest that now, programmers would/may have a choice: be
>>> slow and correct, or fast and incorrect, and that would
>>> depend if real accuracy is important or not, the types of
>>> problems being work on, and cost of failure. (see examples in
>>> John Powerpoint presentation).

Hi Everyone.

Here is a link:  [ http://ubiquity.acm.org/article.cfm?id=2913029
  ]
of an interview between John L Gustafson & Walter Tichy
(Professor of Computer Science) published in the ACM Digital
Library. Published April 2016. pdf - 11 pages.
It is a easy and informative read with a computer science lens.

I loved this quote at the end of this interview: "Unums are to
floats what floats are to integers. They are the next step in the
evolution of computer arithmetic". Perhaps what D will need in
the future.

cheers
Nick