D Lang installation on Windows, dependency on Visual Studio?

AB via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 14 00:38:32 PST 2016

Installing D 2.072.0 on Windows 7 64-bit. After installation is
complete I get the following two error (warning?) messages,
screenshots here:

http://imgur.com/a/5fydB

For your convenience they read as follows:

"Could not detect Visual Studio (2008-2015 are supported). No
64-bit support."

"Could not detect Windows SDK (6.0A-10.0 are supported). No
64-bit support."

So the above means that the DMD compiler will not be able to
generate 64-bit executables on my system, because a third-party
piece of software is missing? This is ridiculous, what does
Visual Studio have to do with DMD and its capability to generate
64-bit code?

"You wanted a banana but what you got was a gorilla holding the
banana and the entire jungle."