Awesome mir/glas package

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 14 00:41:36 PST 2016

On Monday, 14 November 2016 at 07:42:13 UTC, Picaud Vincent wrote:
> Just a word to say that I find the glas benchmark results and
> design awesome!
>
> https://github.com/libmir/mir
>
> I am new to D but I think this kind of developments has the
> potential to attract a lot of people doing numerical
> computations.
>
> I also would like to mention the "libFlame" approach used to
> describe and implement linear algebra algorithms like LU,
> Cholesky... decompositions.
>
> https://www.cs.utexas.edu/~flame/web/methodology.html
>
> IMHO the ndslice is a perfect match to benefit from this
> methodology.
>
> I hope the best future for glas, it is very attractive.
>
> Vincent

Thank you, Vincent!

Yes, I will use libFlame approach, it is a really good. In the
same time Dlang is more user-friendly for SIMD optimization. GLAS
routines probably will follow hypothetical (it is closed source)
Intel MKL approach but without unrolled loops. LibFLAME has 2
kinds of algorithms: blocking and unblocking. GLAS where it is
possible will have 3 kinds: tiny unblocking, register (SIMD)
blocking, and normal blocking.

Mir GLAS was moved to separate repo [1]. It is a "better C"
library now. This means it is written in D but does not requre
DRuntime. It also has standart BLAS API, so GLAS will be able to
replace BLAS in already existing C / Fortran infrastructure.

[1] https://github.com/libmir/mir-glas

Best regards,
Ilya