D Lang installation on Windows, dependency on Visual Studio?

Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 14 05:44:29 PST 2016

On Monday, 14 November 2016 at 09:33:48 UTC, AB wrote:
> On Monday, 14 November 2016 at 09:06:18 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>> DMD can generate 64-bit object files just fine, you only need
>> to link them, and DMD can invoke ms linker for you, that's all.
>
> It is unreasonable to pull in the many GBs of Visual Studio as
> a dependency only to use its 64-bit linker.

That's a true issue imho also. I had the same problem. Both my
machine at work and at home have their windows system partition
on a smallish SSD. Installing Visual Studio failed because of
lack of space. Even installing it on another drive fails because
even in that case the Microsofties want to install gigabytes of
stuff on the system drive. Extremely annoying when you only want
to install an otherwise extremely lean development tool (dmd) to
test 100 liners.