D Lang installation on Windows, dependency on Visual Studio?

Daniel Kozak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 15 06:41:34 PST 2016

Dne 15.11.2016 v 14:23 AB via Digitalmars-d napsal(a):

> On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 at 11:28:16 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 at 10:31:23 UTC, AB wrote:
>>> Are there plans to write a homebrew 64-bit linker for DMD?
>>
>> There are already ld from mingw and lld from llvm team.
>
> Why aren't they used and distributed in DMD for Windows by default?
>
> If the tools mentioned above (LD and LLD) are available and usable on
> Windows x64 instead of the ones provided in heavily bloated packages
> by Microsoft, how come the DMD installer for Windows doesn't offer
> them as an alternative (or better yet as the default)?

AFAIK ld on mingw can`t link against mscoff file format so it is not
very usable. LLD is quite new so I do not know how production ready is.
But I believe LLD will be the answer in future.

Btw. today I want to start working on a D project in work, but I cant,
because there is not enoght space on C:\ partion and there is not
possible to instal VS to another disk :( (Ok in few attempt of
installing VS there has been path I can change but it does not work
anyway, still VS is trying to install to C:\ ).

So maybe one day I will be able to work at job on D windows project.
Fortunately I can still work on other part (still in D) of project which
is running on linux