D Lang installation on Windows, dependency on Visual Studio?

AB via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 15 08:20:53 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 at 16:00:48 UTC, kink wrote:
> It's not just the linker. You need the libs as well (static and
> dynamic ones), and not just the WinSDK ones, but the MSVCRT
> ones too.

I was under the impression that DMD for Windows was (meant to be)
self-sufficient. I must have been misled by how it can build
32-bit applications just fine without requiring the many
gigabytes of WinSDK and MSVCRT extras.

Hopefully, future releases of DMD will fix this inconsistency by
requiring Visual Studio for 32-bit D programs as well.