interest in Static Analysis for D ?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 15 08:39:22 PST 2016

On 11/15/2016 04:57 PM, Stefan Koch wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 at 14:45:29 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I was wondering how much interest in static analysis exists in this
>> community .
>> DMD already has rudimentary support for these kinds of things.

I'd put it in a different perspective - we desperately need DMD FE (with
all semantic phases) available as fully-stand alone independent library.
For example, there is already DScanner
(https://github.com/Hackerpilot/Dscanner) for static analysis but amount
of things one can check with only lexer/parser is very limited in D.

Once we have such library, it opens up world of many useful tools -
separating all warnings into dedicated static analysis tool, providing
automatic project upgrade scripts which work reliably, visualize mixin
expansions and so on.

But I'd sincerely advise against any ad-hoc solution that is built into
DMD itself.