D Lang installation on Windows, dependency on Visual Studio?

kink via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 15 08:40:31 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 at 16:20:53 UTC, AB wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 at 16:00:48 UTC, kink wrote:
>> It's not just the linker. You need the libs as well (static
>> and dynamic ones), and not just the WinSDK ones, but the
>> MSVCRT ones too.
>
> I was under the impression that DMD for Windows was (meant to
> be) self-sufficient. I must have been misled by how it can
> build 32-bit applications just fine without requiring the many
> gigabytes of WinSDK and MSVCRT extras.

Did you give the Build Tools even a try? I can't install it as
it's not installable alongside VS (yes, I do have enough disk
space for 3 parallel VS installations!). The system requirements
on their site says it needs 200 MB.

Also, DMD ships with the most common Windows libs (no idea from
which WinSDK though), and DMD for 32-bit Windows (the non-COFF,
i.e., optlink flavour) uses the Digital Mars C runtime (for which
there's obviously no 64-bit version).

The 32-bit non-COFF Windows DMD comes along as self-sufficient
package for basic users. If you're one of them, fine, otherwise
get a proper dev environment and acknowledge that it'll require
some space on disk.