D Lang installation on Windows, dependency on Visual Studio?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 15 15:34:34 PST 2016

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 16:20:53 AB via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 at 16:00:48 UTC, kink wrote:
> > It's not just the linker. You need the libs as well (static and
> > dynamic ones), and not just the WinSDK ones, but the MSVCRT
> > ones too.
>
> I was under the impression that DMD for Windows was (meant to be)
> self-sufficient. I must have been misled by how it can build
> 32-bit applications just fine without requiring the many
> gigabytes of WinSDK and MSVCRT extras.

You _can_ build 32-bit applications with dmd without the Microsoft toolchain
just fine. dmc and optlink should be installed with the dmd installer so
that code can be compiled to 32-bit OMF and linked. You just need the
Microsoft toolchain if you're compiling for 64-bit (which is only COFF) or
if you want to compile to 32-bit COFF. It's unnecessary if you simply want
to compile and run 32-bit programs and are willing to use OMF for the linker
format. If dmd's installer is actually requiring that you install Visual
Studio to compile 32-bit programs, then that's a problem. It didn't do that
before, and it shouldn't need to now.

- Jonathan M Davis