D Lang installation on Windows, dependency on Visual Studio?

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 16 01:21:18 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 at 14:41:34 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> AFAIK ld on mingw can`t link against mscoff file format so it
> is not very usable.

It's dmd/optlink that don't support mscoff, mingw supports only
mscoff.

> LLD is quite new so I do not know how production ready is.

AFAIK that's only because of lack of support for debug info. The
rest works.

> Btw. today I want to start working on a D project in work, but
> I cant, because there is not enoght space on C:\ partion and
> there is not possible to instal VS to another disk :( (Ok in
> few attempt of installing VS there has been path I can change
> but it does not work anyway, still VS is trying to install to
> C:\ ).

My system drive is filled with 80gb and it has 3 versions of VS,
2 ssms, sdk and whatnot installed on it. If your system drive
doesn't stretch, you should consider what you fill it with as you
would do in old good days.