D front end implementation

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 18 06:37:52 PST 2016

On 18.11.2016 11:18, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> Quite a list, but the issues that are likely to affect symbol lookup
> might not be too complicated to implement.

I think 'protected' is the only remaining feature whose implementation
is not "obvious". Otherwise, finishing support for all features is
mostly a question of spending the time. Some performance tuning will be
necessary too.

> I'm looking for candidates
> that might replace the semantic engine in Visual D,

In theory, the frontend would be a good option because due to its
design, it is quite easy to extend for incremental semantic analysis
support. (It keeps track of all dependencies between nodes, all that is
needed is to record those and to re-analyze dependent code as required.)

> as D_Parser is
> unlikely to be developed further at the moment.
>
>>> Is it able to digest itself?
>>
>> Not yet. (Mostly because of missing language features.)
>>
>>> That would be pretty impressive ;-)
>>
>> I want to get there eventually. :)
>> Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to spend on this lately. Also,
>> DMD 2.060 has quite many annoying bugs that slow down development.
>>

> I hope to get the forward reference bugs solved in current dmd.

Nice initiative!

> That might also help your motivation to continue the front end ;-)

Certainly. :)