More technical material for the blog? Merge the newsletter?

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 20 18:56:22 PST 2016

On Sunday, 20 November 2016 at 11:21:55 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Mike Parker has done a fantastic job with the D blog: I really
> like the unique direction he's taken, focusing on D users and
> their first-hand experiences.

Thanks! And thanks for writing this post.

> We're missing these tech posts on the D blog

I put out a call here for more technical oriented articles a
couple of weeks ago. It did generate a bit of response, but it's
all of the 'when I have time' variety, which I fully understand.
For someone who is not a writer, such posts require a not
insignificant chunk of time from the normal routine.

> I know why this doesn't happen: these articles take more time
> and effort than a couple hours answering questions over email.
> But for major selling points of D, it needs to be done.
> Ideally, the article would be written by the technical author,
> as they know the code best, but it doesn't have to be.

For what it's worth, Walter and Andrei have each committed to a
post for some point in the near future. I expect to have them
published before the end of the year. I've also tentatively got a
couple of compiler-related posts from a couple of others in the
pipeline, but I can't guarantee when they will get to me.

And, for anyone reading this, it's not just article proposals I'm
after. Suggestions pointing me to potential articles are just as
good. I can find projects and companies using D just fine, so I
don't need help there. What I need is for people who notice some
technically interesting use of D to solve a challenge to contact
me and let me know who to approach about a potential post. The
'find' post came because Andrei linked me up with Andreas. The
'@trusted' article happened because Steven was already planning a
post on the topic for his own blog when I contacted him. The
regex post came because I remembered Dmitry posting in the forums
about some big performance gains back in May.

I'm sure I can find material if I look hard enough, but it's time
consuming. In complete sympathy with those who have delayed their
contributions to the blog, I don't have that kind of time right
now. Help is always appreciated.