!!!Please add intrinsics module for DMD DRuntime!!!

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 22 05:31:03 PST 2016

Hey all,

Please add a module (core.intrinsics ?) which will contain all
DMD intrinsics similar to ldc.intrinsics. After each DMD release
it is not clear what is intrinsics and what is not. I need BSF
intrinsics for Better C library Mir Random [1], which should work
without linking with DRuntime and Phobos. I can use
ldc.intrinsics for LDC, but have no idea about DMD. I want BSR
and BSF instructions to be generated instead of current
_software_ implementation in core.bitop.

Philosophical Questions:

1. Why hight level stuff like BitRange is in core.bitop, but not
in std.bitmanip? If it should be in core, why it is public?

2. Why bsf and bsr do NOT use hardware instructions anymore?

Please ping me for Phobos and DRuntime PRs if they are related to
math and numeric issues.

Best regards,
Ilya