How do we accelerate the development of precise GC, RC and so on?

Adam Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 22 21:58:05 PST 2016

Dsby wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 at 11:20:10 UTC, Jack Applegame wrote:
>> We look forward to sane GC over the years. How do we accelerate the
>> development of precise GC, RC and so on?
>> Maybe we should organize a fundraiser on Kickstarter or somewhere else?
>> I'm not ready to write precise GC, but I'm willing to donate to those
>> who are ready.
>
> I want to know too.

Over the summer there was a GSoC project to implement a Precise GC in D.
The bulk of the work was completed but we got bogged down by the need to
test and fix it's performance characteristics over multiple CPU types.

If you want to help you can look at this github branch and test it on
your box and let us know what your results are:
https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1603

You can also submit any fixes you come up with. That would be very helpful!

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender