Mir Random [WIP]

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 23 05:33:28 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 at 13:01:22 UTC, Andrea Fontana
wrote:
> I wonder why Mersenne Twister is *always* choosen over other
> algorithms.

The weight of history, I suspect.  Mersenne Twister was the major
new high-quality RNG back when people started getting really
concerned about having good defaults, and when the Diehard Tests
were the state of the art in tests of randomness.  IIRC there's
also a benefit in terms of dimensionality, which some more recent
generators don't address, which can make it a safer "all-round
default".

Agree that there are probably better choices for today, though.