Transitioning std lib modules/packages

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 28 06:07:05 PST 2016

On Monday, 28 November 2016 at 13:51:13 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 11/28/2016 08:42 AM, Andrea Fontana wrote:
>> On Monday, 28 November 2016 at 13:34:42 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> That doesn't work - how do you later make breaking changes to
>>> std.v2.stdio? We'd be missing the very point of doing this.
>>> -- Andrei
>>
>> It's just an api level. When you need a breaking change all
>> modules will
>> be updated to v3 as alias except the edited ones.
>>
>> V3 it just like a commit-id on github.
>
> I see - although that's an awesome idea for github, it seems
> excessive to bump the version of the entire stdlib when we want
> to transition one module or package of it. -- Andrei

Agreed. In other hand, we may want to evaluate all or a big part
of Phobos to the new version instead of project-by-project
migration torment. std2.*/std.v2.* or something like that. Also
we need split a code, that should be only generic, only
precompiled, only inlined, and other code. This will be very
helpful for painless evaluation. --Ilya