Contribution to cover C++11 functionality

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 30 13:12:16 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 at 20:36:34 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 30.11.2016 16:22, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Mir Random has [1, D] 16 out of 20 [2, C++] random number
>> distributions.
>>
>> Remaining 4 are:
>>
>> 1. piecewise_constant_distribution
>> 2. piecewise_linear_distribution
>> 3. binomial_distribution
>> 4. negative_binomial_distribution
>>
>> [1] http://docs.random.dlang.io/latest/mir_random_variable.html
>> [2]
>> http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/concept/RandomNumberDistribution
>>
>> Any takers?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ilya
>>

> Unrelated question: Why are the samplers called 'random
> variables'?
> I'd advice to consistently use the naming convention of
> 'Discrete' and rename the module to 'mir.random.distributions'
> or similar.

"random distribution" is like "accidental distribution". "random
variable" is much more frequently used definition is stats world
(stats world != stats packages). Also this better describes what
functionality provides module. "Distribution" may be used for PDF
or for CDF (or their pair). "probability distribution" and
"random variable" looks better (IMHO) then "random distribution",
which has another meaning in stats world: a distribution, which
was chosen randomly from a class of distributions. For example,
variance-mean mixtures. --Ilya