[OT] google- and github-fu: how to search for a specific PR?

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 1 05:40:17 PDT 2016

> I was looking for the PR that changed iota.length and it took me longer
> than it could have. I googled for
>
> iota length dlang
>
> and among the top results I found the changelog PR:
> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4220, but it was through
> indirections via mail-archive.com. Same goes about the actual result
> (https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4013) which was further down the
> page.
>
> Are there any shortcuts? It would help a lot if one could search
> github.com repos for PR titles, is that possible?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=iota+length&type=Issues

If we used more labels it would be easier still.
This is also where integrated bug tracker can help significantly since
its a commit message like "Fixes #1" would auto close issue once
merged[0] and have it mentioned in both places.

[0] https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-via-commit-messages/