GitHub protected branches are now enabled

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 13 06:22:08 PDT 2016

Hi all,

As an experiment, we've enabled some new GitHub branch protection
features for the Phobos, Tools and dlang.org repos:

1. The auto-tester and the documentation tester must be green
before a PR can be merged. As PRs should be merged via the
auto-tester's Auto Merge feature, and the doc tester finishes
much quicker than the autotester, I don't expect this to affect
procedure much.

2. Before a PR can be merged, it must now have one "approved"
review. So, it's a good time to start using GitHub's new review
features instead of "LGTM" comments :)

3. Enabling CI protection has the added bonus that pushing
directly to the branch is disabled. This means you don't need to
worry about accidentally pushing to the wrong git remote.

4. Admins can bypass these restrictions. If these are preventing
you from getting things done, ping an admin.

If things go well, we'll enable the checks for the Druntime and
DMD repositories as well.

Feedback is welcome!