Why are homepage examples too complicated?

Meta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 13 12:30:30 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 13 October 2016 at 19:06:26 UTC, Karabuta wrote:
> I assume the purpose for those demonstrations are to win the
> interest of the user as to how easy and clean D code can be.
> Then why;
>
> // Round floating point numbers
> import std.algorithm, std.conv, std.functional,
>     std.math, std.regex, std.stdio;
>
> alias round = pipe!(to!real, std.math.round, to!string);
> static reFloatingPoint = ctRegex!`[0-9]+\.[0-9]+`;
>
> void main()
> {
>     // Replace anything that looks like a real
>     // number with the rounded equivalent.
>     stdin
>         .byLine
>         .map!(l => l.replaceAll!(c => c.hit.round)
>                                 (reFloatingPoint))
>         .each!writeln;
> }
>
> How is a new visitor supposed to know "!" is for templates and
> not some complicated syntax?

How's a new user supposed to know <> is for templates when
looking at a C++ example? They don't; it's just something that
has to be learned, or they know it because other languages use a
similar syntax. Rust uses ! for macro invocation, and I imagine
that creeps into some of their examples (OTOH, anything that
prints output). Templates are such an integral part of D that any
non-trivial example can't get around not using them.