core.intrinsics

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 13 15:55:19 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 13 October 2016 at 22:44:13 UTC, Dominikus Dittes
Scherkl wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 October 2016 at 19:52:57 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> On Thursday, 13 October 2016 at 19:49:42 UTC, Johan Engelen
>> wrote:

>>> I think the name should be different from "intrinsics", so
>>> that it can also contain functions like "likely-functionptr"
>>> / "likely-class" optimization functions (e.g. the is_likely
>>> template from the other thread).
>>>
>>> -Johan
>>
>> What name would you suggest then ?
> how about "fuzzylogic"?

It has nothing todo with fuzzy logic.
AFAIK fuzzy-logic deals with optimizing boolean logic in order to
by represented by smaller transistor networks.

core.optimize suggests that there is some functionality that
optimises things for you which is not the case.

The only thing this should provide are compiler-specific
low-level tools to affect code-gen.
in as protable a manner as possible.

I am especially intrested in being able to provide hints for
code-layout.
That does not only affect basic block-placement but also the
which functions will be placed next to each other if possble.

If anyone has good suggestions as to how such facilites may be
named I am all ears.