[Semi OT] - "Garbage In, Garbage Out: Arguing about Undefined Behavior..."

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 14 17:11:35 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 13 October 2016 at 15:19:17 UTC, Guillaume Chatelet
wrote:
> Pretty cool talk by Chandler Carruth on undefined behavior. It
> reminds me of a bunch of conversations than happened on this
> mailing list. I bet Walter will like it :)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG1OZ69H_-o

I was not very impressed to be honest. His argument is that this
is an error, but really this isn't or people wouldn't be that mad
at undefined behavior. He rejected plateform defined behavior on
ground that aren't very solid. That would solve the shift problem
very nicely.

His argument about indices was also weak as it tells more about
the need to use size_t rather than 32 bits indices when doing
indices computation.