[OT] Re: UDA and trait for non-GC managed pointers

Basile B. via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 15 11:50:31 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 15 October 2016 at 18:03:54 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 October 2016 at 17:48:13 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> To be honest I find this system way more useful that the
>> function attribute @nogc.
>> My trait is here
>> (https://github.com/BBasile/iz/blob/master/import/iz/memory.d#L145) but it's quite similar to the one used in EMSI containers (with diagnostic added).
>
> Ok, great! I'll use your solution for now in phobos-next.
>
> BTW: I took a look at `iz`. Loads of nice stuff, there! You and
> I have some serious work integrating all our D snippets into
> Phobos! Thanks.

I've given up with the idea of proposing my stuff in phobos.
About memory there would also have be:
- allocators-based factory
(https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4062)
- @nogc dispose (https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4351)

But each time the PR was a failure. Since last spring I've
stopped to think that my stuff would be useful and I hole up in
my user library.

Even some simple bug fixes can be completely ignored during
weeks, even if reviewed:
- https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4439
- https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4475
- https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4296

After a while it becomes clears that it's a loss of time. What's
a definition of madness already ? Trying always the same thing
(here: make phobos PRs) and expecting a different result (here:
being merged)...