I close BIP27. I won't be pursuing BIPs anymore

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 16 19:08:44 PDT 2016

Listen, I understand you are not interested in spending loads of
time on boring polishing of formalities. We all do this in our
spare time so that is to be expected.

But what you say here only shows that process is working as
intended - and that it is not suitable for you. Quote from
readme: "Be prepared for a lot of work. There are always many
ideas proposed but far fewer developers commited to pursuing the
idea to the final stages of evaluation. The DIP system is not for
submitting undeveloped ideas, it is a process for formal approval
of language changes".

There isn't any lack of ideas in D community. Those don't hold
much value on its own. What is needed is commitment and
stubbornness, and DIP system, among other things, helps to not
pay attention to those who are unlikely to pursue their idea to
an end.

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 at 22:17:15 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> The DIP process is beyond broken. It essentially goes as :
>  - If you are Andrei or Walter, then your DIP is just a
> formality. No matter how bad it is, it is in (Hi DIP25, inout
> turned out so great for type qualifier we clearly need that for
> lifetime).

This is explicitly mentioned in README. Like it or not, but this
is reality we have to live with and there is no point in
pretending otherwise. Walter won't change and you can either try
to make best of the status quo or move on to other things.

>  - If anybody else does it, you have no idea what you are
> getting into. You'll be still there in 5 years with no end in
> sight.
>
> I've been a sucker for long enough. I'm not playing anymore and
> I'd suggest to anyone playing to stop. I've probably be playing
> longer than pretty much anyone here. Trust the bitter old man,
> he knows.

.. and trying to convince others that your specific choice is
"correct" is a shitty move.