I close BIP27. I won't be pursuing BIPs anymore

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 16 23:58:59 PDT 2016

On 10/17/2016 02:39 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2016-10-17 04:08, Dicebot wrote:
>> Listen, I understand you are not interested in spending loads of time on
>> boring polishing of formalities. We all do this in our spare time so
>> that is to be expected.
>>
>> But what you say here only shows that process is working as intended
>
> Well, the designed of the DIP process if flawed.

What steps do you think we could take to improve it? Since Dicebot took
the reins things are showing real promise. I'm sure he'd be interested
in taking suggestions.

> It's basically
> impossible to get something through the process unless you're Andrei or
> Walter. Yes, I know there's been approved DIP's but that was long time
> ago, when the process was very loosely defined.

Sadly the process is still not super rigorous, but as I said we're
working on it.

Could you please mention a few DIPs that have merit and have been
unjustly rejected?

> If you're Walter or Andrei it's more of an FYI. Most likely Andrei
> already merged Walter's PR for DMD for this DIP, three weeks ago after
> being open for two hours.

Looking at https://wiki.dlang.org/?title=DIP27&action=history, I'm
seeing 10 approved DIPs. Their respective authors are: Michel Fortin and
Jacob Carlborg, Alex Rønne Petersen, Dicebot and Martin Nowak, Walter
Bright and Andrei Alexandrescu, Jonathan M Davis, Walter Bright (4), and
David Soria Parra and Martin Nowak.

Would you not expect that the creator of the language has a good
presence in new work on the language?

Andrei