I close BIP27. I won't be pursuing BIPs anymore

David Soria Parra via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 17 10:44:49 PDT 2016

On Monday, 17 October 2016 at 06:58:59 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 02:39 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2016-10-17 04:08, Dicebot wrote:
>>> Listen, I understand you are not interested in spending loads
>>> of time on
>>> boring polishing of formalities. We all do this in our spare
>>> time so
>>> that is to be expected.
>>>
>>> But what you say here only shows that process is working as
>>> intended
>>
>> Well, the designed of the DIP process if flawed.
>
> What steps do you think we could take to improve it? Since
> Dicebot took the reins things are showing real promise. I'm
> sure he'd be interested in taking suggestions.

Looking at other languages that have similar process. Python's
PIPs are probably the closest to DIP. Two observations:

1. Python as clean tooling around PIPs. We should render PIPs
from the dlang/DIP nicely at dip.dlang.org (My understanding that
repository is now favored over wiki entries).

2. Python DIPs are Guido's main focus of work. Maybe we can write
a bot mailing current in-process DIPs on a weekly basis to the
mailinglist as digest to remind Walter, Andrei and others to
reviewed. The list should ordered by last comment/review on it. I
am not 100% aware of all the edge cases of the process and have a
terrible track record of implementing things I say i will
implement, but I can give such a mailing bot a try, by scaping
dlang/DIP.

3. It would be great to be clear if the people who can accept a
DIP reviewed it and what the current suggested improvements are
so we can make constant head-way.