Why are homepage examples too complicated?

Karabuta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 17 13:13:19 PDT 2016

On Monday, 17 October 2016 at 19:39:14 UTC, Benjiro wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 October 2016 at 19:06:26 UTC, Karabuta wrote:
>> How is a new visitor supposed to know "!" is for templates and
>> not some complicated syntax?
>
> As a dlang newbie ( only started to learn a few days ago ), the
> example on the front page is just complex for new users.
>
> Its not a lack of knowledge ( 15+ years php, some C in high
> school,  Perl 3 years and some other languages over the years )
> but i had no clue that "!" ( used a lot in examples ) is
> actually templates ( or macro's ). I was focused on other parts
> ( shared libraries creation & loading etc ) so never got around
> to some of the "basics". Just assumed it was a operator.

  I would suggest they remove all templates and make it its own
example. It is easy to add more high-level features if you
already know D, but think like someone who is coming from C or
PHP or JavaScript.

* Basic functional/ranges example = map, filter, reduce
* basic helloworld = write the string "Hello, World!"
* Basic sort example
* basic maths example
* basic UFCS example

I also support removing Args and Input. Make things simple.
People want to see clean syntax, because they just languages by
syntax. We all at times perceive things by appearance first time.